Monday, June 2, 2008

my testimony

I needed to write this for something and I found myself unable to sleep tonight. I think God had this time set aside for me. It just seemed to flow out. Thank you Lord for your patience, grace and understanding. I pray you use this in more ways than I planned it to.


When I was six I said to my mom “ I need to go now” like most moms her first reaction was “not now Church is almost over“. So I said “ No, I need to go down front, Jesus needs my heart”. This is a story I’ve heard many times over the last 29 years. But I have to say I have no memory of it. I know I was baptized I’ve got a certificate from my church. But yet again I have no memories. I know I went to church most Sundays beginning soon after birth. But it hasn’t always been a smooth path. I had my highs and my lows. I participated in Sunday School, Mission Friends, GA’s, Acteens and many youth activities. Unfortunately by the time I hit High School the youth department I attended was in shambles. I put my Christian growth and trust in the wrong people. I made very poor choices and received advice that should have shamed those giving it to me. I ended up stepping away from the church and to an extent God for a season. But God in his infinite mercy and grace never turned away from me. In many ways he protected me from myself and my stupid and selfish choices. Eventually I found my way back to church and a strong College and Career class that pointed me in the right direction for spiritual growth. I still had my ups and downs but after 15 years God has given me a strong desire to know Him more daily and to trust Him with my marriage, my children and my life. This past spring I finally gave way to pride and obeyed His request that I give myself a baptism to remember. Matt was so strong and supportive and baptized me in front of our whole family, which in my mind means my church family too. I know that to survive each day in His will I need to surround myself with Godly council, people I know are following His path and voice. I can only pray that God increases my testimony in ways I can’t even imagine.

4 comments:

elizabeth engelhardt creations said...

Congratulations for getting your testimony out on paper. I know that God is using you and will continue to do so. Blessings sweet friend.

Audrey and Company said...

What an encouragement! I got your comment on our blog... glad to hear my hubbby not the only bball nut on the block. We do need to get together! Amy said you all had talked about some pool dates this summer, I figured Audrey and I just might tag along some days.

Amy said...

great post, and i LOVE that kari jobe song!! thanks for including us for lunch last sunday. we love you guys. i'm looking forward to starting bible study!!

Bethany said...

Great stuff Shelly! God is definitely not through with you yet! I love you, girl, and am so blessed to have you as my sister-in-law.