Monday, December 21, 2009

If we focus too much on Christmas we might miss Christ

This Christmas has been strange, I don't know if it's because of the miscarriage or because of the sprititual changes God is making in Matt and I or a combination of both but it's been different for sure. I am having a hard time getting into the mode of comercial gift giving, deciding what to give people has been on such the back burner this year. And it seems like every book I pick up, every song I sing, every person I talk to has made me start to question what does Christmas really mean to me. I decided to ask some questions of my family to see what they would say. Here are the questions and responses.


What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think about Christmas?

Serah: getting presents, "Santa if he does exist after all", "Sometimes I think about Jesus and his birth but most of the time I don't"

Ethan: "I think about presents but also about the birth of Christ"

Matt: "bills, where does the money go?, hectic schedules, spending time with family and friends"

Me: "hectic schedules, pleasing family, getting it all done, looking festive"

What do you enjoy about Christmas?

Serah: "happiness, being excited, getting presents, being thankful"

Matt: "getting to do special things with family, getting time off of work to spend with family"

Me: "filling the house with good smelling goodies (baking), dressing up for parties, finding that perfect gift"

What does Christmas mean to you?

Ethan: "If he wasn't born we wouldn't be here today", "You don't give just to recieve"

Matt: " a season where we struggle to focus on the right things"

   I know the kids are just kids but it really made me wonder what the emphasis has been on so far in their lives, what have we been teaching them. I know that Matt and I both struggle with not losing our temper with them and each other each year as the stresses mount up. We battle the Bah Humbugs and the blahs, and only just manage to come out of it in time for Christmas Eve. Tell me, what kind of example is that?
   All this makes me wonder, what can we learn from this? Also, how in the heck do we balance what we feel God is showing us with expectations that won't change by people who either won't get it or aren't in the same place we are.
   I think we both are feeling the need to change our family's focus from inward towards us and how the season affects us to outward toward the people around us that are struggling each year, with pain, finances and everyday wants. How this is going to look we're not sure yet but I know one thing, next year is going to be less about what we can't do, how we don't feel or what we don't get and more about Who He is, What He wants us to do and How He makes us feel. All this in the hopes that it carries foward into the New Year and every day of our lives. It's time to make Christmas less about one day and more about Everyday.

No comments: