Thursday, January 6, 2011

How many people can you fit in a small house... or what Matt and I feel is God's mission for our lives.

So this spring brought us a new experience. We had a friend of Matt's from high school need a place to stay with her young girls. She needed the opportunity to get out of an unhealthy relationship. We chose to trust God and open up our home to them. We moved furniture around, blew up multiple air mattresses and went from a family of 4 to a family of 7 in one weekend.
It was amazing what God showed us during that time. Unknown to me God had plans for me to be thrust into an unknown... my own foreign missions as it were. I have always been a behind the scenes person, preferring to do the organizing, cleaning, feeding etc. and Matt is much better at the inter personal part of relationships. Let's face it the man can talk, he thrives on conversation with others, hearing their hearts, hurts and joys. Well God wanted me to grow in the areas of talk, he placed in our home someone who needed to hear my story, my heart and what he has done in my life. Matt and I had already been praying together but not real consistently. God impressed upon Matt the importance of starting our day in prayer for some days it was the only thing that kept me going. I had for all intents and purposes a stranger in my home and at times I was still dealing w/ the loss of our baby in the fall... I didn't feel like I could have bad days. He also made it very clear to both of us that this was his mission for our lives, meeting the needs of women and children in crisis in many different ways. We have talked almost daily about what this will look like and we quickly realize that there was going to be no set pattern. Do you know how hard this is for two people who like to plan and have all our ducks in a row. God keeps reminding us that His ways are the only way and that we will have to rely on Him daily to show us the next step.
Since then we have become ears and arms for several friends along the way, people who are hurting, who are going through life changes and need to see Christ in the flesh just to get through the day. It has been such a blessing to us both to walk along side them and to be allowed to be part of their lives. We are trusting God daily to show us how He wants us to work with Him in this life and believing that we will have a positive impact on many lives around us.
Through it all we hold fast to this one concept: We don't know what the future holds but we know (trust and believe in) WHO holds the future.

No comments: